Absolute lakefront. Absolute bliss.
A hidden haven at the edge of Lake Hawea, Wanaka, New Zealand. Stay a night, a week or longer and enjoy the ultimate retreat.
The Black Shack is a gorgeous sunny lakeside cottage nestled amongst native trees, with world class mountain and lake views. It doesn’t get more idyllic than this. With only a 2 mins drive from Lake Hawea township or 15mins drive to Wanaka township – you get to enjoy easy access to shops and your daily flat white but then quickly be back in paradise relaxing and enjoying nature.
This is a unique slice of paradise. There are not many cottages available to rent in such an idyllic spot. You can hear the birds every morning, hear the water of Lake Hawea lapping near the cottage. You truly feel renewed and invigorated after a stay here. Surrounded by native trees, nestled in a corner nook of the lake, John’s Creek has its own microclimate. There is open space for kids and adults to run around and bike. Its easy to get your boat in at the marina at Hawea township or with a 4WD directly outside the cottage.
Had a fantastic birthday weekend here! The view is amazing and the funky ‘shack’ fab. We especially enjoyed all the old photographs and wondering who they all were??? Our boys enjoyed our late night camp fire on the lake side singing songs! We can’t wait to go back…”
Nearby attractions & activities
- 15 mins drive to Wanaka township with great bars, cafe and restuarants and of course shops
- 1 hour drive to Treble Cone, Cardrona and Snow Park ski areas
- 1.5 hour drive to Haast on the West Coast
- Waterskiing, paddle boarding, trout fishing, swimming directly in front of the cottage
- Hawea river track, golf course, tennis courts and playground just 5 mins drive from the Shack
- Great mountain biking on your doorstep – including heli-biking
- Guided hunting expeditions in this area
It’s also a magical venue for your office Christmas party, team bonding session, intimate wedding or niche event.
Come nightfall, you can crank up the BBQ and braziers then have a soak in the firebath beneath the Southern stars.